An important first step in launching an online marketing campaign is identifying objectives. Objectives drive everything from strategy to implementation, measurement, and refinement.
For example, an ecommerce site may have the goal of attracting more traffic to their website. The assumption is that increased traffic will push more visitors into the top of the funnel, likely increasing the number of visits which convert to a sale.
However, as one of our clients learned, the online marketing effects for a retailer with an ecommerce site can impact the bottom line in more than one way.
Leather Bound Online is an online and brick and mortar retailer of leather motorcycle apparel and accessories located in New Jersey.
Leather Bound retained TopRank Online Marketing to develop an integrated online marketing strategy and provide ongoing marketing performance optimization consulting. Beyond developing a strategy, implementation support included: content planning, creation, optimization and integration with social media. Services we provided:
- Content Marketing Strategy
- Website and Blog Content Creation
- Search Engine Optimization
- Content Promotion
- Link Building
- Local Social Media Marketing
- Conversion Optimization
With TopRank’s help, this ecommerce site rapidly gained traction and web traffic rose steadily. In 2012 the Leather Bound site averaged a 30% year over year gain in website traffic from organic search.
Online Marketing Program Results:
In addition to an increase in web traffic, Leather Bound also noted an increase in foot traffic to the brick and mortar store due to TopRank’s SEO and content creation efforts. Leather Bound reports many new, local customers are finding their store via search engines. In fact:
- Customers are visiting the store from up to two hours away.
- Increased in-store traffic can be attributed to increased online visibility for local searches.
- Since the start of 2012, nearly 30% of visits to the site can be attributed to Northeast Region (New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Massachusetts and Maryland), close to Leather Bound store.
Continued Efforts to Optimize for Increased Traffic to Online and Retail Locations
In order to further capitalize on local visitors to the New Jersey location, TopRank made the following recommendations:
- Set up a Google+ Local listing and ensure listing is complete and optimized for priority terms
- Incorporate blog and resource content which appeals to local audience such as local events and recommendations.
- Add geo-specific keywords to keyword glossary and create specific pages for specific geographic targets.
- Add incentives for online visitors to also visit in store through the use of couponing, etc.
The impact of a strategic and well executed online marketing program that integrates optimized and socialized content can extend beyond online revenue growth goals. Continued evaluation of a program’s performance will review additional opportunities to optimize an integrated program to expand beyond original objectives. This is one of the most valuable benefits from ongoing online marketing consulting. Oversight and optimization of program performance with the ability to see additional growth opportunities.